Required documents:   Valid MT Drivers License or State I.D. and proof of weapons training, which may include one of the following:

  • a copy of your military discharge form DD214
  • a copy of your hunter safety certificate (even if expired)
  • a concealed weapon permit from an approved state (An approved state is one that required weapons training prior to obtaining your CWP)
  • a weapons training certificate from a certified firearms instructor

[Residency requirement:  Please note that to be eligible for a Flathead County CWP, you must first be a Montana resident for six (6) months and you must currently reside in Flathead County.]

Office walk-ins are welcome on Tuesdays & Thursdays for new and renewal applications from 10am-2pm and by appointment on Wednesdays from 9am-3pm. To schedule an appointment call (406)758-5585.  

YOU CAN ALSO APPLY ONLINE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW. (Do not open in Safari. Use Chrome for best results.)

Fees for Concealed Weapon Permits:  (cash or check only)
New permit = $50.00

Renewal = $25.00*

Replacement card or Transferring from another MT county= $25.00

Change of Information = $5.00

*Renewal:  A Flathead County CWP is eligible for renewal ONLY if presented 90 days prior or up to 1 business day after the expiration date. A permit cannot be renewed any earlier than within the 90 days prior to the expiration date, and if presented for renewal outside of the renewal period, a new permit application and full $50.00 fee will be required.


If you do not have any of the above documents, you can visit a certified firearms instructor, who can (for a fee) provide you with the instruction and training required to receive a weapons training certificate.  [Please note that FCSO does not endorse any instructor over another, and we do not provide a list of area instructors.]