Bike Safety Tips
Before you ride, make sure that everything on your bicycle is working correctly. Get in the habit of checking the brakes, and make sure there are no loose or broken parts on your bike. Reflectors and lights make you and your bicycle more visible to drivers, especially in the dark.
- ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET! The best way to protect your head and face is to wear a helmet that properly fits. If you are unsure about which helmet to get, check with your local bike store.
- Wear protective glasses, which can stop debris from getting into your eyes.
- Wear bright, reflective clothing to make it easier for drivers to see you.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands from developing blisters or being injured by debris.
- Wear padded shorts and use a comfortable seat to reduce buttock pain.
- Stay alert and look out for anything in your way.
- Always have plenty of water and food with you while riding.
- Always carry emergency contact information, including health alerts, on you or on your bike equipment.